Taking care of your new tattoo is critical. It will ensure that your tattoo remains vibrant and healthy (and you do too!) Here are some recommendations and guidelines we have for your new art:
Estimated Healing Time For Your New Tattoo: Everyone heals at a different rate. You can expect your new tattoo to take approximately two weeks to heal on the surface and up to two months to heal completely.
- Wash your hands! Before and after touching your tattoo
- Remove bandage in a clean environment within 1-3 hrs. Immediately wash tattoo with a mild, liquid antibacterial soap. Do not re-bandage! Your new tattoo is an open wound and must “breathe”.
- Wash the tattooed area gently 2-3 times daily. DO NOT scrub! Pat dry with a clean, disposable paper towel.
- After cleaning, apply a thin coat of the aftercare product of your choice (preferable a lotion formulated to soothe and moisturize dry/rough skin) to the tattooed area. Rub the product in well. If the area appears glossy, then you have applied too much.
- Apply the aftercare product periodically throughout the day as needed to keep the area from drying out being careful not to over-saturate your new tattoo, as it may prolong healing time.
- We sugggest using a lotion-based aftercare for your new tattoo. However, should you choose to use an ointment-based product instead, switch to a mild, fragrance-free, dye-free lotion within 24-48 hours.
- DO NOT use vaseline, Neosporin, Noxema, Bactine, etc on the tattooed area.
- If a scab should form, DO NOT PICK AT IT! This could “pull out” parts of your tattoo!
Your Tattoo Has Been Done Appropriately. Now It’s Up To You!
The risk of infection is minimal if the aftercare is followed closely. We have found that most problems or infections occur when:
The tattoo is handled without first washing hands.
Too much, too many, or inappropriate products are used for cleaning an healing.
When subjected to harsh chemicals or conditions (chlorine pools, direct sunlight, tanning, etc) if it is inevitable for you to stay out of the pool, we suggest to use a waterproof tattoo cover for swimming, this way your tattoo is protected from any bacteria and you also don’t risk the possibility of fading the design.
Simply not following aftercare advise.